Why should I use a Self-Serve Dog Wash?
2) OUR TUBS! – The specially designed tubs will make it the easiest dog wash you have ever experienced, for any size dog! Unlike washing at home or outside, our tubs are elevated so there is no bending over and you can access BOTH sides. Each tub has a built-in restraint which keeps your wet pet from running all over the house or yard and helps eliminate the struggle for control. Built-in steps (or an available ramp) lead right up to the easy access rear entry. No more cold hose water or fussing to mix the water temperature as we provide all the pre-mixed warm water you’ll need. Finally, there is plenty of room for 2-4 people, so make it a family event!
3) OUR DRYERS! – We offer professional Forced-Air dryers which actually hyper-evaporates and sweeps the water from the coat. But the real benefit? Forced-Air dryers are also designed to blow the rest of the dead fur out! You’ll be amazed at how much cleaner your house will be by adding the “De-shed package” to your bath. The “De-shed package” includes a specially formulated de-shed shampoo, de-shed creme rinse solution, and 15 minutes of blow drying. *Our dryers are lukewarm air so they will not overheat your pet or dry out their skin.
4) PEACE OF MIND – Perhaps you have an elderly pet or one that may need special attention, gentleness or care due to health issues or behaviors (ie. separation anxiety). There are many reasons you may be hesitant to leave your companion in the care of strangers. You can get professional bathing results without the guilt, concern, or worry. You can spend as little or as much time as you want to reduce the stress or calm the fears. A staff member is always close at hand for physical assistance – WE LOVE TO HELP!
5) FUN! FUN! FUN! – Get out of the house and do more stuff with your dog! Strengthen your bond. A Self-Serve Dog Wash combines the practical bath with the healthy stimulation your pet needs and craves! We could have put all of our tubs in separate, private, boring rooms but what fun is that? Doesn’t everyone have a good dog story to share. We are open for fun year-round; warm in the winter, Air-conditioned in the summer!
Can I bring more than one dog?Yes. One dog goes in the tub and we have secure attachments by each tub for your other dog to hang out by your side awaiting their turn! We offer an automatic discount of $2.00 if you use the same tub for more than one dog. For safety and courtesy, if you are not able to control multiple dogs by yourself, please bring an additional person with you to help.
Can I bring my own shampoo and tools?Absolutely. We carry a variety of professional grade specialty shampoos, conditioners, rinses and medicated treatments but you are more than welcome to bring your own. We are an ideal facility for medicated baths that your Veterinarian may recommend. We strongly recommend you always bathe your pet with a product specifically made for them and not for humans (see “our shampoo” page for reasons why).
How long will it take? How much time do I get?That all depends on your dog (size, coat, attitude, and health) and you. Most dogs can be done in an hour or less for a bath and blow dry. Using a conditioner/creme rinse, the “Oxy-Med treatment”, or the “De-shed solution” will require extra time for application, tool work, and rinsing. We do not have a time limit for the tubs. Blow drying is charged in 15 minute intervals.
Do you take reservations?No, all self-serve tubs are on a first come, first serve basis. We generally have no waiting for a self serve tub on weekdays. Scrubbers is busier on weekends, and there is a chance you’ll have to wait for a tub, but it is usually only 5-10 minute wait.
How often can or should I bathe my pet?Again, that all depends on your dog’s breed, their individual skin sensitivity, and the product you are using to cleanse. A general rule of thumb is every 4-8 weeks and only use products meant for pets. Our professional line of shampoos are specifically designed for frequent washing. They are Ph balanced for your pets skin and will not irritate or dry. To add moisture, consider using our Oatmeal shampoo and/or follow up your wash with one of our powerful moisturizing rinses. Our house shampoo (and other specialty shampoos) will not impact Spot-on Flea & Tick products.
Is your facilty safe and clean?Absolutely! CLEANING IS OUR MAIN BUSINESS! We are constantly sanitizing, washing, wiping, mopping, and vacuuming. Our facility was designed and constructed with the right materials for maintenance, durability, ease of use, safety and FUN!
What are Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids* and how do they work?(the active ingredients in the De-shed and Oxy-med products)
Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA’s) are naturally occuring acids such as Lactic acid and Maltic acid derived from the sugars in plants. These acids help dissolve the “glue” that holds the keratinized skin cells together and increases cell exfoliation and replacement. This increases cell turnover and influences the structure of new stratum corneum being made. This results in skin that is more flexible, less dehyrated, smoother, and more even in tone.
Lactic acid is a natural humectant that draws and holds water in the upper layers of the skin. Alpha-hydroxy acids as a whole can increase the skin’s ability to trap water due to an increased production of natural skin moisturizers (hyaluronic acid), but lactic acid’s extra humectant properties make it even more ideal for treating dry skin. Lactic acid is ideal for those with slightly sensitive dry skin or allergy-prone skin.
Malic acid is an acid that is most commonly found in apples and has unique antioxidant properties that no other AHA’s contain. When applied to the skin, Malic acid acts as a protective moisturizer.
Beta-hydroxy acids (BHA’s) have a larger molecule than Alpha-hydroxy acids. The most common BHA is Salicylic acid, which is well known to treat many skin disorders including dandruff, psoriasis, and dermatitis. The larger molecule size keeps the BHA on the surface of the skin allowing it to exfoliate the skin surface. Beta-hydroxy acids are very effective within the pores, treating blemishes, including blackheads. Salicylic acid works from the uppermost layer of the skin while Alpha-hydroxy acids work at the lowermost levels of the stratum corneum. Salicylic acid was originally discovered in Willow bark.
*Excerpt taken from Tropiclean promotional brochure
FOR THE SAFETY AND ENJOYMENT OF EVERYONE, PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:– All pets MUST be collared and leashed in the parking lot and the store.
– You MUST be able to control your pet at ALL TIMES.
– Only one dog per ADULT is allowed in the store at a time (see FAQs below).
– Children MUST be under adult supervision at ALL TIMES. Please make sure you advise them not to approach other pets without permission. No running, jumping, or horseplay.
– Strays and animals from shelters MUST be examined and cleared by a veterinarian.
– Rabies vaccinations are REQUIRED. Other vaccinations are suggested.
– Dog Waste bags are available at the front door and a dumpster is in back. Be courteous to our neighbors and other patrons, PLEASE STOOP AND SCOOP!
MAKE THE MOST OUT OF YOUR VISIT:
1) If your pet is “high energy”, try to release it before coming in. A good long walk, run, or some other form of vigorous exercise before arriving will help. Two or more people for the bath may be helpful and way more fun!!!
2) Make sure your pet has relieved themselves before getting in the car. Ooh, that warm water feels nice but the sudden urge to pee can spoil all the fun. Pet waste bags are available at the front door.
3) Setting up the coat leads to great end results. Before you arrive, brush your pet thoroughly to loosen any dead fur, mats, or tangles. Dematting/detangling sprays, tools, and scissors are available for use at the shop for the really tough ones. Water and bathing will only tighten the mats and set them in deeper.
4) Waterproof aprons are supplied but you may still get a little wet. Short sleeves are recommended. The floor gets wet – appropriate shoes are waterproof and have non-slip soles.
5) Bathtime is a great time to brush your dogs teeth. Pack a dog appropriate toothbrush and toothpaste. They are available for purchase at the desk or we can do that service for you.
6) Bathtime and forced-air blow drying are both ideal for giving your pet the “once-over”. Examine your pet for unusual lumps, bumps, growths, and ticks.
7) (We can’t think of anything more fun but) only you know the attention span of your children and grooming the dog may not be for everyone and every age. Children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
8) Cameras and video are welcome and encouraged. Hollywood (well, You Tube) here I come! It’s really too bad they can’t capture that wet dog smell.
9) Did someone say COOKIE? Bring your own treats to motivate, reward, and delight your pet. But why bother – many of our healthy, natural, organic , and very tasty treats are only 25 cents!!